Monday, May 7, 2012

New Blog Supplement

Most anyone who knows me, knows I am quite the sentimental pack rat. B has his own similar affliction, and together we have boxes and boxes of stuff that has followed us around the country. Every once in awhile, I get the urge to purge but when set to task, I am often overcome by nostalgia and find it nearly impossible to part with so many precious mementos.

Until now.

Now that we are firmly enmeshed in the digital age, it is becoming less necessary to physically carry around all the trinkets linked to precious memories. Do I really need my Prom ticket? How about that ticket stub to a Gaelic Storm show? Or what about those knick knacks that I've had since I was a child that do little more than collect dust? Yes, it's easy to put those items in boxes and forget about them, only to pull them out from time to time and fondly reminisce over them.  That's why it has been so dang hard for me to let them go.

Until now.

Thanks to that awesomely evil addictive site Pintrest, I came across a brilliant idea for managing our mementos. Take a picture. Load the picture into a blog post. Write about the memory tied to that item. Donate/sell/re-gift the item to someone else. My memories stay intact (which was always the most important part), I can someday turn the blog into a physical book, and I will no longer feel obligated to hold on to the object.

I. LOVE. IT!

This concept instantly resonated with me, and I am ready to put it into action. And what better time to start clearing out than before a big move to what is going to be our long time home! I need to be careful about overwhelming myself with this project. Like I said, I have a lot of stuff I've been hanging onto for a long time. I'm hoping to find a way to take baby steps with the process. Maybe an entry or two a week as time allows. And if I can't get thru them all before we move, then I'll be OK with taking them to the new house and finishing it out there. But they will not find a cozy corner to stay indefinitely. Oh no. No more!

Please message me or leave a comment if you'd like to be added to the email list for that new blog. Part of the fun of keeping memories is to share them with others! :) I will keep the Batavia Duchette blog going, so don't worry about that! I just wanted a new separate space for the other one.

Oh, and the address is: http://ourmementos.blogspot.com/

It's brand new, so there are no posts yet. I'd like to change the look of it too. Stay tuned! :)

1 comment:

Karen said...

This is a great concept! I'd love to keep in touch and see what great stuff you'll post! :-) Hope you're doing great!