After years and years of putting it off, we finally broke down and started watching AMC's Mad Men.
WHY OH WHY did we wait so long?! I swear I cannot stop talking about
this show. And I totally understand why it's earned so many awards.
After watching a series like this, we're totally wrecked for watching
sub par network TV. (Don't get me wrong, there are some very well
written shows on network. Some that come immediately to mind are: Fringe, Modern Family, Suburgatory.) But Mad Men has me completely captivated.One thing I absolutely love is the fashion. I am by no means a fashionista, but I do love drooling over the gorgeous dresses and imagining what it would be like to dress like Betty does day in and day out. I am fascinated by the idea of accessorizing not just your purse and shoes, but your hat and gloves as well. I also think the men look so incredibly dashing in their fedoras.
The show does an amazing job setting you smack dab in the sixties. The attention to detail for the decor, props, language, current events, style, culture and the near constant drinking and smoking (OMG - that took some getting used to!)...all of it...is simply mind-blowing. Obviously I don't really know what life was like in the early to mid 60s, but I honestly feel like I am living right there with the characters in the show. It's also been fun figuring out what cost of living was back then compared to now. What? Purchasing a 2 bedroom apartment in NYC cost $3,500? A decent weekly salary was $75? You could buy a fancy car for $6,500? And if you were particularly well paid, you could just walk in and plop down the cash for it? What do you mean people weren't taking out loans and mortgages for everything?And then there is the writing. The story lines are tight and draw you right in. There is intrigue, romance, humor, drama...the whole shebang. And this is one of those shows where the main character is what they call an anti-hero. You want to hate him, but as time goes on, you find yourself cheering for him. In fact, most, if not all of the characters are flawed in some significant way. But that is what makes them believable. Relateable. Although, there is ONE particular character played by an actor whose character in another show was positively detestable. (Rob & Kristi, all I have to say is ARGH - FREAKING CONNER!) Anywho, I've nearly come to the point where I no longer hold that against him. Barely. ;)
If you have not yet watched this show, I urge you to give it a shot. All four previous seasons are available streaming on Netflix and season five starts at the end of March. You won't regret it. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment